Monday, June 15, 2009

Keeping your concentation during phone meetings

I bet everyone has a hard time concentrating during phone meetings, especially when there are multiple people on. People are hard to hear and understand, side conversations spring up every now and then, people assume a lot of things, etc. But they are so useful, allowing me to talk to my team out in California, or letting me work from home.

So after searching for a list on the net for Do's and Don'ts while participating in phone meetings, I decided to compile my own.

List of Do's and Don'ts while participating in phone meetings:

Do's
1) Take notes in Notepad, prepare your own minutes.
2) Mute yourself when not talking, in case of meetings with more than 4 people.
3) Drink Coffee, Coke or Water to keep yourself alert.
4) Share your desktop using Meeting place, Communicator, Webex, etc.
5) Elaborate, elucidate, explain, and most of all speak clearly!

Don'ts
1) Multitask. So that I don't get distracted by incoming email or work, I tend to pace in my cubicle. It also gives you time to stretch your legs.
2) Have more than 2 people together in one room on meetings with more than 4 people.

I'll be adding more tips soon, you people are also welcome to give some in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment